Monday, March 4, 2013

7 Fathers Day Poems From Kids

In looking for Fathers day poems for kids, I ran across these poems by Nicholas Gordon. These could be printed on the front of a card, framed with a nice border or written inside of a card.
 

Daddy, I love you
For all that you do.
I'll kiss you and hug you
'Cause you love me, too.
You feed me and need me
To teach you to play,
So smile 'cause I love you
On this Father's Day.

                   
by Nicholas Gordon

You've been everything to me: a father,
Teacher, playmate, model, conscience, friend.
Sometimes I'm not certain why you bother,
If your feelings on my words depend.
I know I haven't been the child I should:
Far from it, and I really can't say why.
I know exactly what I'd label good,
But in the real world something goes awry.
Underneath my actions there is love,
Gratitude, respect, and admiration.
Sometimes I don't know what I'm thinking of,
But I thank God you're in for the duration.
I'm sorry, sorry for the things I do,
But please believe I cherish Mom and you.

                                    
  by Nicholas Gordon


A father and a dad are not the same:
One can be a dad and not a father,
Or one can be a father and not bother
To earn through love the more endearing name.
Some find fatherhood a bit too tame,
Leaving all the details to the mother,
Or dumping the sweet burden on another
Man with just a passing twinge of shame.
You have been our dad so many years
That you've become the landscape that is home,
The mountain that we look to from afar.
No matter where we go we're not alone,
For you remain within to still our fears
And be the word that tells us who we are.

                                by Nicholas Gordon


Children need a Daddy
For many, many things:
Like holding them high off the ground
Where the sunlight sings!

Like being the deep music
That tells them all is right
When they awaken frantic with
The terrors of the night.
Like being the great mountain
That rises in their hearts
And shows them how they might get home
When all else falls apart.
Like giving them the love
That is their sea and air,
So diving deep or soaring high
They'll always find him there.

                                       by Nicholas Gordon


To my dad on his day,
Of whom I am a living will:
May your happiness fulfill
Your goodness, as is just and right.
Deeds are seeds upon the night
As wind and wonder have their way,
Delivering the destined light.

                       by Nicholas Gordon


Happy Father's Day to my dear Dad!
As you have loved me, so have I loved you,
Pleased to tell you, now that words are due,
Pleased to have this chance to make you glad.
Your years of love and sacrifice have had
For me the force that you would wish them to,
A wind that takes me home to harbors new,
The inner voice in clothes familiar clad.
How might I be myself, except I see
Each gesture in the mirror of your grace,
Remembered as it was when long ago,
'Ere I knew why, I looked to you for love?
So am I of you inextricably,
Defined by trends not difficult to trace
As I grow into someone that I know,
Yet myself in ways that time will prove.
                                            by Nicholas Gordon  


 Happy Father's Day to one whose love
Asks nothing more than that it more might give!
Praised be those whose self-love selfless proves;
Praised be those who by such pleasure live.
Years of longing find no better plight,
For everything that is, is ever here.
A love that gives, gives unalloyed delight,
Taking in more breath than it can bear.
How lovely, then, to give this day to you,
Embracing who would rather us embrace,
Rejoicing in the ballet old anew,
'Twixt give and give a shy and awkward grace!
So may you ever be on Father's Day,
Despite yourself, the hero of the play,
Accepting from your loved ones what you would
Yet give yourself to them, if you but could.

                                    by Nicholas Gordon  


These poems are the property of Nicholas Gorden and can be found at Father's Day Poems


No comments:

Post a Comment